Wednesday 7 October 2015

BE THE CHANGE.

This was in my early years in Covenant University. In those years when i was on my 'slightly faded-afro' hair cut. lol. I decided to go for the debating competition. Not like I was a really skilled orator, I just decided to put in for the competition and showcase my write up. I took a shot at it and made an impressive statement, but I did not win the competition. What happened on that day was quite hilarious. I'll share with you if you ask me.







Everyday, we wake up to a typical Nigerian morning, filled with our day to day social problems : Lack of electricity, fuel scarcity, corruption, etc.
But I want to ask you, what have you done to solve these problems on your own part? What have you done to effect change in our beloved Nation? It lies in our hands, and if we don’t do it, nobody will do it. If we keep folding our arms to watch these problems, I’m sure these problems will do the same too.
As a young child, I was used to my parents leaving home very early and returning late at night due to traffic congestions and traffic jams. They basically did nothing, until my dad was opportuned in his political capacity to reduce traffic congestion on Iju road by providing an alternative route. Before this, all they did was to ‘survive’. In few years time, I will be in that position. If I also try to just survive without changing it, it will continue, then eventually my children will face the same challenge and it will keep going on and on.
Several years back in the 18th century, a young man named Frederick Douglas was in my shoes- kind of. He was born into a society where every ‘African-American’ was automatically a slave. His parents and several others ahead of him conformed to the status-quo, but Frederick, an agent of change rose up, eloped from his slave master and started a new life as a freedom fighter. He ended up getting married to his white secretary: what a reward. He termed the marriage a symbol of victory against racial discrimination.

With his little effort, he set the path for the likes of Martin Luther King Jnr., Nelson Mandela. In other words, I am the change Nigeria needs, you are the change Nigeria needs. This is a call for responsibility and courage. Fight corruption wherever you see it, fight insecurity wherever you see it and very soon, you will see others joining you in the quest for change in our Nation. Our governments have failed us in the past years, and this time around, it is up to us to be the change that Nigeria needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment